Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Poetry Through Nagging

I wrote this poem four years ago, after reading a Tamil short story. I have forgotten the title of the short story. It is really a funny piece where the wife nags her husband to write a shortstory after her friend's husband won a prize at a short story competition.



‘Write a poem, write a poem’
Nagging my mom from the day
My classmate received a prize in a poetry competition
A function well organized
With people beautifully dressed
Winners walking across
My classmate with her mother went on waving at us.



‘Write a poem, write a poem’
The repeated slogan filled my ears.
What to write, what to write
Echoed my mind as its only response.



‘Inspiration- that is what you need’
Expressed my mom and pushed me into the garden.
‘Shelley wrote his poems in his garden’
She was supporting her actions with evidences.



I was there in the garden for some times
But nothing came to my mind
Except the taste of the red juicy jumbos
Hanging in bunches in the middle of the garden



The second trial awaited me
When I returned from school one day.
Alas! For my surprise
My room had turned out to be a dreamy vision
I shook my eyes and looked at again
Three feathery mattresses one on top of the other
In the middle of the carpet.
Cushions to sit; lovely flowers
Hanging around; pen and paper
Longing someone to pick them up.



My mom quoted a poet’s name this time
Which I honestly don’t remember.
I looked at my father – he turned himself to escape from  a burst of laughter
But the inspiration really worked-I had a peaceful deep slumber.



‘write a poem, write a poem’- nags on my mom
‘You will do it, you will do it’, poor mom she trusts me more than I trust myself.
I learnt somewhere` poetry comes as if leaves come to a tree`
But believe me,
Poetry DO come through the overflow of powerful nagging.

All Rights Reserved © Saambavi Sivaji   

No comments:

Post a Comment