Monday, October 15, 2012

A Wait That Never Ends







Waiting – a part of my life style.

 

A monster that swallows my precious time ignoring my very being.

 

A deeply rooted parasite

 

Which grows in me despite my hatred.

 

 

 

During my childhood,

 

Years of fearful longing to see the outside world.

 

A search in the darkness

 

To see a glimpse of sunlight.

 

Waiting-for the arrival of the ship

 

With text books, clothing and even the basic needs.

 

Long hours of waiting for electricity

 

Waiting for the curfew to be lifted out.

 

 

 

Sleepless nights of hard work

 

With endless prayers to God.

 

While waiting for this countless pains to overcome

 

Suddenly transformed me into adulthood.

 

 

 

Despairingly waiting to crawl out

 

from the ‘Z score’ bottle neck.

 

Waiting until the race is over,

 

Is it only to reach the space of injustice?

 

 

 

 

 

Solution to rejoice? the cause for deception

 

And mourning identified?

 

I looked up with hope

 

A strong hope to get rid of this nasty monster.

 

God for my annoyance the ugly monster is sitting beside me very closely

 

Grins at me with his dirty teeth and tells

 

‘ Give me time until the universities reopen.’

 

 

 

Decades of waiting lie in smithereens

 

No one to pick up the pieces.

 

When will this thirst ever be quenched?

 

No answer from anywhere.

 

(This poem was read at the American Center for the Open Mic Competitive Poetry Slam)

All Rights Reserved © Saambavi Sivaji  

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/16/2012

    Lovely poem.
    I like the title 'A Waiting That Never Ends'. Its really true that waiting fills our entire life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely one sister.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. U r Great Saam! Lovely Poem!

    ReplyDelete